This is designed for those with few or no formal lean qualifications or recognition of their credentials, but who have.a track record of lean implementation and an in-depth knowledge of lean thinking principles and techniques gained through roles in employment.
Lean/CI knowledge gained from learning can be in two forms:
- Formal learning – gained from training by an educational institution or training provider, which may have been assessed or certified.
- Experiential learning – gained through other activities, including casual courses, self-directed on-the-job study, implementations or through other pursuits.
Lean/CI practical capability can be gained from:
- Work undertaken while employed in a lean related role in an organisation.
- Projects undertaken for clients as a lean consultant.
- Ad hoc lean related projects or initiatives while employed in a general management role in an organisation.
Key Link & Downloads
Download LCS L2 APLE application guidance
Download an A3 report template
Who Can Apply?
Level 2 APLE Certification is designed for experienced practitioners and while there is no precise formula that can be used, the information below will provide an indication of the preferred characteristics.
|Approximate minimum time undertaking lean roles in employment||This can include consultancy roles||5 years||7 years|
|Number of different lean/CI related roles||This can include redefined roles as well as new jobs in the same or different organisations||3+||5+|
|Number of different organisations in which roles undertaken||‘Different organisation’ encompasses different divisions/ groups, within large organisations, as well as separate organisations||2+||3+|
|Functional background of roles||Production, operations, service delivery, planning, CI, business/operational excellence|
|Scope of responsibility||Scope can be determined by the size of the organisation and will differ for consulting roles. Responsibility could be product delivery based or programme/project based||Encompassing departments, cross-functional teams, value streams|
|Involvement in transformation projects||A transformation project is one that makes major changes in how business is conducted.||Contributing
|General qualifications, lean/CI knowledge,||Typically, L2/3 managers will be educated to degree level, often with vocational, postgraduate or professional qualifications. Note that significant experience can compensate for a lack of formal qualifications.|
The L2 APLE Certification Process
Complete the LCS L2 APLE application form.
This captures information on roles in employment (including lean implementation achievements) and training/education undertaken. It also requires you to make a statement summarising how your lean knowledge and practical experience meets the Level 2 criteria and the names of a reference that may be contacted to corroborate your application.
- Include copies/images of any relevant training course or academic certificates in the application form.
- Provide two implementation case studies. See the guidance document for more information.
- The application will be assessed and the outcomes are:
a. Application fully accepted; proceed to certification.
b. Application accepted, though insufficient/no evidence provided of formal knowledge testing; proceed to the test (see test section below).
c. Revisions required to the application (specified in the evaluation report); make amendments and resubmit.
d. Application rejected due to insufficient experience or evidence of knowledge.
- If the evaluation outcome is b) above, take the knowledge test.
- Application approved.
- Applicant invoiced.
- Presented with LCS Certificate.
L2 APLE Certification Fee
- Level 2 LCS certification without a knowledge test: £395.00
- Level 2 LCS certification including a knowledge test: £445.00
- Fees are exclusive of VAT.
- Fees are payable when the approval process is completed.
- Fees can be paid via the LCS Shop or an invoice can be requested.
- Fees are reviewed periodically.